Various - Music, Message And The Moment
New Vinyl Record - Various - Music, Message And The Moment
60th Anniversary Deluxe 4LP Box Set!
Featuring John Coltrane, Quincy Jones, Charles Mingus & Many More Legendary Impulse Artists!
Includes Digital Booklet: Impulse Records: Music, Message and the Moment - by Various artists
Celebrating 60 years of Impulse Records. A Deluxe 4-LP Box Set with tracks by John Coltrane, Quincy Jones, Charles Mingus, Oliver Nelson, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp and other legendary Impulse Artists. This release includes liner notes by Greg Tate and A.B. Spellman. The LP box is housed in a high-quality archival portfolio cast with a museum drop front, includes a magazine style booklet featuring original impulse! ads and artist photos, as well as an impulse! vinyl slip mat.
Orange and black. Fire and ebony. Fury and pride. Wearing its signature colors proudly and raising its exclamation point high, Impulse! Records was the go-to label for music that harnessed the searching and political stand-taking of the Sixties. Launched in 1961, Impulse grew to become an inherent part of the era's velocity as well as its volume, pulling jazz into the age of Black Power, Afrocentricity, and Spiritual Expansion. In its balance of tradition and transition, it bridged the golden age of jazz, that brief window from the late Fifties to the Seventies when players representing every jazz era were alive and active - from Louis Armstrong to Albert Ayler, from the legends of lore to a new generation of energy players. Impulse treated all its musicians as innovators, revolutionaries even - from swing and bebop, to free and Afrofuturist.
The performances on Impulse Records: Music, Message and the Moment draw their staying power from a wide embrace of styles and sounds, as well as a tight focus on a historic moment when the promise of change was in the air and the message of racial harmony was in the music. Today that music has lost none of its relevance: the promise still deferred, the message still on time.
- Deluxe 4LP Box Set
- Liner Notes by Greg Tate & A.B. Spellman
- High-Quality Archival Portfolio Cast With Museum Drop Front
- Magazine-Style Booklet - Original Impulse! Ads & Artist Photos
- 1 Africa - By John Coltrane
- 2 Garvey's Ghost [Feat. Carlos "Potato" Valdez & Carlos "Totico" Eugenio & Abbey Lincoln] - By Max Roach
- 3 Hard Sock Dance - By Quincy Jones & His Orchestra
- 4 Up 'Gainst the Wall - By John Coltrane
- 5 Just Us Blues [Feat. McCoy Tyner] - By Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison Sextet
- 6 Alabama - By John Coltrane
- 7 Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul - By Charles Mingus
- 8 Freedom Dance - By Shirley Scott Trio
- 9 Sister Mamie - By Yusef Lateef
- 10 Malcolm, Malcolm - Semper Malcolm - By Archie Shepp
- 11 Good Lookin' Out - By Stanley Turrentine
- 12 Black and Tan Fantasy - By Earl Hines
- 13 The Rights of All - By Oliver Nelson
- 14 The Creator Has a Master Plan (Edit) - By Pharoah Sanders
- 15 Reverend King - By John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane
- 16 The Awakening - By Ahmad Jamal Trio
- 17 Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe - By Albert Ayler
- 18 We Shall Overcome - By Charlie Haden
- 19 Blue Nile - By Alice Coltrane
- 20 Astral Traveling - By Pharoah Sanders
- 21 Blues for Brother George Jackson - By Archie Shepp
- 22 Lament (Mankind) - By Michael White
- 23 Imani - By Dewey Redman
- 24 Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim - By Marion Brown
- 25 Hard Work - By John Handy